Please tell me you have been to Trader Joe’s. Please tell me you love Trader Joe’s. I discovered Trader Joe’s several years ago when I moved to Minneapolis for dental school. My sweet roommate Jenna was all over the Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s scene and caught me up; we didn’t have them where I grew up in Montana.
Trader Joe’s became a quick favorite of mine. Their bran muffins. The Christmas Jo-Jo’s. The crab ravioli. Cranberry goat cheese. I spent a year in Boise, Idaho missing Trader Joe’s like crazy. When I moved to Washington DC for a year I was fortunate that Trader Joe’s was just a mile from my house. Able to get my fix, I was there every week picking up something or other. One of my favorites was their salmon tzatziki wraps. So filling and healthy, low in calories but satisfying, and inexpensive. It became one of my go-to lunches.
Here in Okinawa, there is not a Trader Joe’s to be found for thousands of miles. Missing my old favorite, I decided to make my own recipe for them and found it to be worth sharing. Simple and delicious. I included a recipe for tzatziki as I made my own but store bought is fine if that is your preference.
- 8 ounce salmon, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil, divided (1/2 for pan, ½ for salmon)
- 2 10-inch whole wheat wraps/tortillas
- ½ cup tzatziki
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 3 Tablespoons finely chopped red onions
- 2 cups cucumber peeled, seeded and grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (fresh squeezed is best)
- To make the tzatziki: Spread peeled and grated cucumbers over paper towels. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, toss to coat evenly. Let stand for 25-30 minutes and squeeze out excess water, using fresh paper towels as needed.
- In a medium bowl combine cucumber, Greek yogurt, garlic, dill, and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Meanwhile make the salmon wraps: In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, add ½ Tablespoon olive oil, heat to shimmering. In a medium bowl, toss salmon chunks with lemon juice, ½ Tablespoon oil, and lightly add salt and pepper. Add to pan and cook for about 5 minutes, until salmon is cooked through but still moist. Remove salmon from heat.
- In a medium bowl, mix salmon and tzatziki. Place mixture in middle of wrap, top with tomatoes, and red onion. Roll wrap tightly and cut in half before serving.