I’m happy for the wild days, years perhaps. They’ve helped me know who I am. They’ve helped me know how incredibly fun I can be. I don’t want to leave them behind completely. I bring them with me wherever I go. They are the stories I tell to the twenty-one year olds on the brink of greatness. Two minor in possessions later, they are my street cred. I might not have a wild life now most days, but I like to think I have a wild heart. That part will never go away.
In dental school, in one of my better going out streaks, I chanced to end up at a Capitol Grille, known for their steaks. I was just there for a drink with a friend and got to chatting with the friendly bartender. He suggested the stoli doli. It was simply pineapple infused Stoli vodka. It was like candy. It got me messed up. Good thing for cabs.
This past summer, I got to thinking about those days. I decided to make my own version of the stoli doli. I went quite a lot lighter on the booze and added in coconut. I used coconut water and coconut simple syrup which worked beautifully. Even though autumn is here, this drink is a good go to year round. With my website makeover, I didn’t get it published as soon as I hoped but it’s a good drink for any time you need something tasty for a get together with friends. If you’re looking for a wild night, you can go a little heavier on the pineapple vodka wink wink. Just allow yourself plenty of time (days) for the vodka to infuse.
- 1 medium pineapple
- 2- 2½ cups high quality vodka (such as Stoli)
- 1 quart mason jar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract
- superfind (castor) sugar
- ¼ cup pineapple infused vodka (above)
- ¼ cup coconut water
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 1 Tablespoons coconut simple syrup (above)
- To make the pineapple infused vodka: Remove pineapple skin. Cut into half inch slices. Cut each slice into 6 pieces and cut off core. Place in mason jar. Fill mason jar with high quality vodka and seal. Give it a good shake and place in room temperature area. Keep for 12-14 days, giving a good shake a couple of times each day.
- To prepare the simple syrup: In a small saucepan over medium low heat, add sugar, water and coconut extract. Heat until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, cool and place in small mason jar or similar sterile container.
- To make coconut stoli dolis: Using a small plate with water and another with superfine sugar added, dip martini glass in water, shake to remove excess and then rim with superfine sugar. In a shaker with ice, mix together pineapple infused vodka, coconut water, pineapple juice and coconut simple syrup.