If you’ve been around here once or twice, you might realize I love roasted beets. I could eat them everyday. I could eat them everyway. They are akin to green eggs and ham to me. In fact my experience with beets was very much like that Dr. Seuss book. I could not-would not eat beets for the longest time. Until I gave them a real shot and decided like Sam-I-am and his green eggs and ham:
And I would eat them in a boat.
And I would eat them with a goat…
And I will eat them in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
They are so good, so good, you see!
So I will eat them in a box.
And I will eat them with a fox.
And I will eat them in a house.
And I will eat them with a mouse.
And I will eat them here and there.
Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE!
Since beets became my go-to anytime root, I have done a fair amount of experimenting. A couple things I have learned: my husband does not like beets in juice but he does like them roasted, I like them every which way, and lastly, most people are like one or the other of us if they give them a fair shot.
From this information, you could deduce that my husband did like this healthy roasted beet salsa. Quite a bit actually. I didn’t last much longer than an hour. So you might want to double it. Just sayin’.
This beet salsa is traditional in that it has onion, cilantro and jalapeno. Be careful to remove the seeds unless you want it really spicy. As it is, I added some orange juice, orange marmalade, and balsamic vinegar to give it a little more sweet and tangy twist. It would be delicious served with goat cheese and crackers, or as Matt tried tortilla chips and gave it a solid thumbs up. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped roasted beets (less than ¼ inch)
- ½ cup finely chopped green onion, plus extra for garnish
- 3 seeded jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- 1 T finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1Tablespoon orange juice (fresh squeezed is best)
- ½ Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon orange marmalade
- pinch sea salt
- Combine finely chopped beets, green onion, seeded jalapeno, cilantro, ginger and garlic. Toss gently.
- In a separate bowl, mix together orange juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, orange marmalade, and sea salt, Stir with a fork until well combined.
- Pour the orange juice mixture over the beet mixture and toss lightly. Garnish with extra chopped green onion and cilantro.